Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mini Zucchini Muffins, pre-school snack

I just got back from dropping Patrick off at preschool. One of the reasons I picked this school was the fact that snack is provided by parents. Every week a different parent has snack responsibility for the class. This ensured there would be no problem with me bringing Patrick his own snack and also that at least every few weeks he would have the same snack as everyone else.

As a mom of a child with allergies you would think I would be hyper aware of allergies that other children may have. Unfortunately I am not. I don't know if I'm just busy worrying about Patrick or self centered but I forget other people have lots of different allergies as well. In Pat's class there is another child with a milk allergy, a gluten allergy, and a child that is vegan (not an allergy but a lifestyle choice that should be respected).

Today I was in the classroom as the mother that had snack this week dropped it off. Her son does not have food allergies so I expected Pat would probably have to eat his snack I packed for him. Much to my surprise the teacher pulled out chocolate soy milk as the drink. Unless you have a child who isn't able to eat the same things as other kids it's hard to explain the happiness you feel when your child can sit down with other children and safely enjoy a meal, especially a fun snack. I am so grateful to the moms that do this when they don't have to. I know it makes bringing snack a little more difficult and no mom needs more difficulty in there life.

I wish I could say that when I bring snack I make sure everyone in the class will be able to eat it. I try but something always seems to slip my mind, or the day gets away from me and things don't get done as planned. My best attempt was gluten and dairy free Mini Zucchini Muffins. They have eggs in them so they aren't vegan. I didn't think of that until I was cooking and there was no time to go get egg replacer. I will try harder next time to include everyone. If a mom, who by the way has three children, can think about my child, I can make it a priority to think about other peoples children. Here's my best attempt so far:

Gluten and Dairy free, Mini Zucchini Muffins

1 3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grnd nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
2 eggs beaten
1/3 cup water
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients; fold into dry. Bake in mini muffin pans  for 15-20 minutes. Makes 3 dozen mini muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment