Friday, February 10, 2012

Homemade Rocky Road Soy Ice Cream

I have been wanting an ice cream maker for awhile. I wouldn't break down and buy one because I didn't want to spend $40 on another small appliance that I have to store. Well, the other day I was strolling through Goodwill and how excited was I too see an ice cream maker, still in the box, for $3.99. That's right $4 for an ice cream maker. Needless to say I bought it. It had no manual but not a problem. I easily found it on the internet and was able to download it. I put the canister in the freezer that day and looked up recipes I thought I could easily adapt to dairy free. In the manual was a recipe for Rocky Road ice cream. I had everything I needed for this, perfect. Here is the recipe that I found in the manual with the substitutions I used in parentheses:

1⁄4 cup (60 ml) unsweetened cocoa powder

3⁄4 cup (175 ml) sugar

1 cup (250 ml) milk (regular soy milk)

1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract

Dash of salt

1 cup (250 ml) whipping cream (soy coffee creamer)

1 ounce (25 g) semisweet chocolate square, chopped (most semisweet chocolate is milk free but read the label to be sure)

1⁄2 cup (125 ml) miniature marshmallows

1⁄4 cup (60 ml) pecans

In heavy saucepan, combine cocoa powder and sugar. Gradually stir in milk.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted. Remove from

heat and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
This is what mine looked like at this point:


When ready to freeze, mix whipping cream, salt, and vanilla extract into the chilled

mixture. Start ice cream maker and pour mixture through hole in lid.

After 15 minutes, add coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate and pecans.

Continue to freeze until desired consistency or the unit stops. Stir in marshmallows.
This is what it turned out like:



It was more the consistency of frozen yogurt but that could have been because I didn't let it churn long enough. Who could wait? No worries it was still delicious. We all enjoyed it but as normal Charlie enjoyed it the most. The boys were a little hyped up and it was hard to get a good picture, but I think you can tell they liked it.








No comments:

Post a Comment