Monday, January 16, 2012

My milk free adventure

Hi, I'm Megan and I'm Patrick's mom. Patrick is three and extremely allergic to cows milk. We found out when he was 9 months old. I fed him yogurt and he swelled up and broke out in hives. After that trip to the ER I started looking into dairy free eating. It's amazing how many products contain cows milk or a milk protein. Since then we have gone to nutritionists and numerous allergists and I have read tons of information on food allergies, and eating dairy free.

I know there are other moms and dads out there that are just finding out their child is allergic.  I know how daunting it is to come home from the the doctors office with the diagnosis of a milk allergy and look in your fridge and cupboards and it seems like all you see are dairy products. It takes some time but it becomes second nature to look at labels and question EVERYTHING.

I'm starting this blog to show how easy and yummy dairy free cooking can be. Each post I'll put a recipie I made that day. Some are naturally dairy free, others use common substitutes, then there are my experiments. I'll only post what works. There are some disasters but mostley things turn out pretty well if not excelent! Here's todays recipie:

Pear Cinnamon Pancakes

1 1/4 cups unsweetend soy milk (or other non-dairy milk if soy isn't your thing)
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1 pear (peel on, cored and quartered)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Put all ingredients in a blender jar (a food processor would also work.) Secure top and blend or process until smooth. Pour batter onto hot skillet in desired size. I make about 2 or 3 inch pancakes and it makes about 16 pancakes.

Hope you enjoy this as much as my family did this morning! We had it with vegan sausage and some cut up fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment