Friday, January 20, 2012

Busy night Fried Rice

My kids are still very small so our activities are still pretty limited but Patrick started basketball last week.  His practice is on Tuesday so this is a somewhat hectic night for dinner.
My plan for dinner was Turkish Eggplant Pie and salad. Not sure what I was thinking when I planned that but luckily I didn't have any phyllo dough so I had to improvise.  Fried rice is always a quick and easy meal for me. I use up lots of leftovers in it also which I love. I'm slightly compulsive so when I make brown rice I just double what I need and freeze the extra for nights like this. Not to worry if you don't. White rice takes 20 minutes so you can still make this quickly.
Sweet and Spicy (my 1 yr old ate it so not too spicy) Fried rice
2 Tbsp peach jalapeno jelly
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 pkg tempeh, cut into small cubes (you could use tofu, chicken, pork, whatever you have to use up)
1-2 Tbsp canola oil
1 to 1 1/2 cups leftover or frozen veggies or a mixture there of
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup cooked quinoa (again I cook a big batch and freeze but it cooks very quickly either way)
Soy sauce to taste
Mix the jelly and soy sauce in a bowl. Marinate the tempeh for 10-15 min. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the tempeh, reserving the marinade for later. Cook until most of the liquid is gone and tempeh is slightly browned. Add veggies, rice, quinoa, and reserved marinade. Mix to coat. Taste and add soy sauce according to your tastes.
I served it with a salad and made Martha Stewart's orange miso dressing, and no my kids won't eat salad either. Don't worry they'll eat enough vegetables in the fried rice.
I think this could easily be gluten free also if you use tamari soy sauce.

I wrote this on my phone Tuesday night, doing a million other things, and I guess I saved it instead of publishing it. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment